Symptoms of NVP in animals
10. SYMPTOMS OF NVP IN ANIMALS
- It is generally agreed that hyperemesis gravidarum complicates only pregnancies in human beings. Fairweather. (10)
- Veterinary surgeons and farmers find no comparable vomiting in pregnant animals. (85)
- Private Communication, Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, Welcome Library,
7th December 1971.
We have checked through various books on reproduction, plus our subject files on periodicals’ articles published over the last five years, but we have been unable to find any references to pregnancy sickness in the bitch or in any other animal.
- Private Communication, The Zoological Society of London, N R Brambell, Curator of Mammals, 15th March 1972.
We have not seen vomiting in apes or monkeys here. Whether they suffer from nausea at this time is hard to say, but from their general behaviour we see no signs that might be due to nausea.
- We searched widely for information on NVP in non-human mammals. We found only suggestive evidence for these species. Female domestic dogs typically exhibit a sharp drop in food consumption during weeks three to five of their nine week gestations (three references). Captive Rhesus macaques also exhibit a decrease in appetite during weeks three to five of their 23 week gestation (one reference). Captive chimpanzees - the pregnant female may initially experience morning sickness and irregularities in appetite (one reference). We were unable to locate any other mention of morning sickness in wild or captive chimpanzees. (86)
Animals do not suffer from vomiting due to pregnancy. Total: Five References
Please note this guideline is for moderate to severe NVP symptoms rather than HG
RCOG Green-top Guideline No. 69
The Management of Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
BMJ Clinical Update 2018
Management of severe pregnancy sickness and hyperemesis gravidarum
The risk of a baby being born with a congenital abnormality - the difference between relative and absolute risk
Help us build up a national network of 'HG-friendly' practitioners by registering with our quick form.
PSS Christmas Cards For Sale!We are very excited to reveal our new Christmas Card Designs for 2019! Designed by the wonderful Sarah...
If only staying hydrated was this easy! Many healthcare professionals will use Ketone levels as an indicator of deh… https://t.co/xoZhYI4ECo
09:14 6th December