Pre-pregnancy motion sickness in relation to NVP
15. PRE-PREGNANCY MOTION SICKNESS IN RELATION TO NVP
- Women who reported occurrences of travel sickness (n = 131) within 3/12 before pregnancy were more likely to vomit. 1,000 women in study population. Whitehead. (40)
- Women who generally suffered from travel sickness showed a difference in total hours of nausea which just failed to reach statistical significance at the 0.01 level. The women were asked if they had generally or ever suffered from travel sickness. Those who replied ‘generally’ had a median total hours of 58 hours of nausea compared to 33 hours for those who did not generally so suffer. (Mann-Whitney U Test P=0.032). This was not true for those who had ‘ever’ suffered travel sickness compared to those who had ‘never’ so suffered.
P = 0.32. 363 women in study population. Gadsby. (53)
- There was no difference in emesis rate in patients who suffered from motion sickness in the non-pregnant state compared to those who do not. 90 women in study population. (19)
- A history of nausea while travelling was unrelated to NVP or intensity of NVP.
160 women in study. (80)
- However, motion sickness was aggravated during pregnancy in emetic women. (19)
- What makes NVP worse?. Factors which interfere with the ability to use relief measures for NVP, travel (particularly to work). (109) 19 women in study kept diaries for seven days.
Women who suffered from pre-pregnancy travel sickness get more NVP.
(40) (53) t Total: Two References
No difference in emesis rate, those who did or did not have
Pre-pregnancy travel sickness. (19) (80) Total: Two References
Travel sickness worse during pregnancy. (19) (109) Total: Two References
tP value recorded.
Please note this guideline is for moderate to severe NVP symptoms rather than HG
RCOG Green-top Guideline No. 69
The Management of Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
BMJ Clinical Update 2018
Management of severe pregnancy sickness and hyperemesis gravidarum
The risk of a baby being born with a congenital abnormality - the difference between relative and absolute risk
Help us build up a national network of 'HG-friendly' practitioners by registering with our quick form.
HG Counselling closed for JulyMichelle will not be taking on any new Hyperemesis Counselling clients in July as the service will...
International Colloquium on Hyperemesis Gravidarum 2019International Colloquium on Hyperemesis Gravidarum 2019 The ICHG organisations and Stichting ZEHG are...
RT @Pandas_uk: So true - PND does not care if your a mum or a dad. Either way it is ok not to be ok and remember. Admitting your struggling…
10:26 19th June