Placental weight in relation to NVP
34. PLACENTAL WEIGHT IN RELATION TO NVP
1. Positive correlation for increased nausea was found with heavier placental weight (P=0.005). 363 women in study. (53)
2. The placental weight of subjects who had morning sickness was higher than those who had none. (P
3. No obvious correlations between emesis gravidarum and placental weight were found.
(NVP n=62, no NVP n=28). (19)
4. NVP not associated with placental weight. 873 women in the study, 69% had NVP. (44)
5. There was no difference in placental weight between patients with vomiting and patients with no vomiting. 1,453 formed the study population. 63% vomited, 12% did not vomit. (63)
Increased nausea associated with heavier placentae. (53) t (104) t
Total: Two References
NVP not associated with placental weight. (14) (44) (63) Total: Three References
t P value recorded
PLACENTAL PATHOLOGY IN RELATION TO NVP
No statistical difference between women with hyperemesis gravidarum (n=164) and controls (n=209) in terms of placental pathology. (64)
Pathologic reviews of placentas from women receiving total parenternal nutrition with fat emulsions during the study period showed no gross abnormality.
Nine women with hyperemesis gravidarum. (73)
Did you know?
Early access to treatments is likely to be more effective and may prevent symptoms developing into HG
Please note this guideline is for moderate to severe NVP symptoms rather than HG
RCOG Green-top Guideline No. 69
The Management of Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
BMJ Clinical Update 2018
Management of severe pregnancy sickness and hyperemesis gravidarum
The risk of a baby being born with a congenital abnormality - the difference between relative and absolute risk
Help us build up a national network of 'HG-friendly' practitioners by registering with our quick form.
Pregnancy Sickness Support and Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)Pregnancy Sickness Support is open and operational as normal however our staff team will be working primarily...
International Hyperemesis Awareness Day 202015th May - International Hyperemesis Awareness Day This annual event is a great opportunity to raise...
05:19 3rd April