Marital status in relation to nausea and vomiting in pregnancy (NVP)
11. MARITAL STATUS IN RELATION TO NAUSEA AND VOMITING IN PREGNANCY (NVP)
Marital status refers to married or unmarried women only.
- Marital status has no bearing on occurrence of hyperemesis gravidarum. (10)
Three separate references from 10 and Fairweather’s own series.
- In this group of hyperemesis patients, about 10% of the total were unmarried and this is about the same ratio as the unmarried group bears to the whole clinic (396 patients). (14)
- Vomiting was not more common in women whose partners were not cohabiting.
4,517 women vomited, 3,502 did not vomit. (18)
- The correlation between marriage and increased pregnancy nausea was P=0.013 which just failed to meet our criteria of P=0.01. (363 women). (53)
- No statistical difference in marital status between the two groups, i.e. those with or without symptoms. (500 women). (27)
- Marital status was similar for patients with hyperemesis gravidarum, 193in the study and the general population 13,053. (61)
- 95.4% of 87 patients with hyperemesis gravidarum were married. (69)
- The percentage of women married at LMP increasing from the group with no vomiting, to a maximum in the group using anti-emetic drugs. (P<0.001). (16)
9. a. Married admission for hyperemesis 870 = 72.6% } Total number of admissions
b.Not married admission for hyperemesis 329 = 27.4% } for HG 1270 (158)
No association between marital status and NVP.
(10 with three references) (14) (27) (18) (53) t (61) Total: Six References
More married women have HG (69) (158) Total: Two References
Married women more NVP (16) Total: One Reference
tP value recorded
Please note this guideline is for moderate to severe NVP symptoms rather than HG
RCOG Green-top Guideline No. 69
The Management of Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
BMJ Clinical Update 2018
Management of severe pregnancy sickness and hyperemesis gravidarum
The risk of a baby being born with a congenital abnormality - the difference between relative and absolute risk
Help us build up a national network of 'HG-friendly' practitioners by registering with our quick form.
PSS Christmas Cards For Sale!We are very excited to reveal our new Christmas Card Designs for 2019! Designed by the wonderful Sarah...
If only staying hydrated was this easy! Many healthcare professionals will use Ketone levels as an indicator of deh… https://t.co/xoZhYI4ECo
09:14 6th December