Pregnancy Sickness Support seeks new Trustee
Tuesday 28th January 2020
We are looking for a Trustee to join our board. Pregnancy Sickness Support works to improve care, treatment and support for people suffering from severe pregnancy sickness. A strong interest in Women’s Health is essential.
Pregnancy Sickness Support (PSS) is the only registered UK charity working to improve care, treatment and support for people suffering from Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy (NVP) and the severe form of the condition Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG). PSS was founded in 2002 by Dr Tony Barnie-Adshead and his daughter Caroline Pratt, and colleague Dr Roger Gadsby.
PSS currently has two paid members of staff who perform the core activities. The team is expected to expand to three paid members of staff within the next three months.
PSS’s core activities are:
- a helpline giving free support and information to sufferers and their carers;
- an online forum for sufferers and their carers;
- provision of one-to-one peer support from a bank of volunteers who have first-hand experience of the condition;
- recruitment, training and supporting a national network of volunteers;
- provision of education and training for healthcare professionals and assistance to hospitals seeking to develop services;
- maintenance of a website;
- distribution of free patient information material;
- working with professionals and academics to promote research in NVP and HG
- creating community by organising conferences, one with professionals and one with volunteers, usually in alternate years
- social media platforms
The charity has recently secured a substantial 3-year Lottery Fund grant. It is our intention to grow our current activities as demand for our services currently outstrips our capacity. A key part of this is to grow our fundraising capacity in order to secure the long term future of the charity.
Responsibilities of Charity Trustees
Trustees of Registered Charities in England are outline in Charity Commission Guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-cc3/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-what-you-need-to-do
In brief, trustees have a duty to
- Ensure the charity is carrying out its purpose for the public benefit
- Comply with the charity’s governing document and the law
- Act in your charity’s best interests
- Manage your charity’s resources responsibly
- Act with reasonable care and skill
- Ensure your charity is accountable
Responsibilities of PSS Trustees
The board of trustees comprise 5 members who bring diverse skills and qualities to their roles with professional backgrounds including healthcare, education, and science. In addition, a Medical and Scientific Advisory Board of health professionals and scientists provides support to ensure that PSS materials are up to date and evidence based.
All PSS Trustees are expected to commit to:
- attend 4 Trustee meetings per year at least one of which is in person at the PSS Bodmin office;
- attend to PSS business as need arises by email or phone calls in between meetings;
- from time to time attend meetings and/or conferences with PSS partners or key external organisations;
- maintaining the confidentiality of the trustee board and business of PSS
- Support the chair trustee to fulfil duties regarding staff management for example though help with interviewing and staff appraisals where possible.
All trustees are expected to conform to basic standards of behaviour during their role as trustees. This includes behaving courteously and professionally with other trustees, volunteers, staff, the public and external bodies. All trustees are expected to subscribe to the principles of evidence-based medicine. PSS is a pro-choice organisation and Trustees must respect women’s bodily autonomy and right to choose, regardless of their own personal views or beliefs.
Key Attributes for this Trustee position
Due to the skills mix and geographical locations of the trustee board, we are looking for a trustee in the South West of England who can be hands-on in the Bodmin office when need be. We have strong medical and scientific skills in the board, so we are looking for someone with experience in business and governance who can help to build local networks.
- The ability to speak and write fluently in English
- Analytical capacity.
- Good communication skills with the ability to talk to a wide range of people face to face.
- Some experience of business.
- Experience of fundraising preferably in the third sector.
- Excellent team working skills.
- The capacity to work autonomously
You will not need to have existing experience of NVP and HG but you will need to have a strong interest in health, particularly women’s health, and be motivated by a desire to improve healthcare.
Oversee the fundraising strategy and liaise with office staff to implement it
Form relationships with external organisations with a view to obtaining sponsorship
The role is expected to take 0-5 hours per month or 0-3 hours per week. Trustee board meetings take place either on weekday evenings or on a Saturday. The bulk of the role can be performed remotely.
How will we recruit?
The recruitment process will require completion of a short application form, the uptake of two references, an interview, and a basic Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Duration of appointment
Trustees are appointed for no longer than two terms of four years.
Learning and support
Support for the role will be provided and tailored to individual needs and requirements.
Confidentiality and policies and procedures:
Confidentiality must be maintained in relation to any personal information and information related to personal health that Trustees gather their work with the charity. Any information related to PSS activities must be treated in confidence. Policies and procedures will be provided on appointment and adherence is expected at all times.
For further information about this position, contact the Chairperson:
You are not aloneIf you think you are suffering from HG please call us for support on: 024 7638 2020
Information and Support AssistantInformation and Support Assistant Job Description For Application Form Click Here Post:...
~ Volunteer Post ~ How many of you are home schooling at the minute? Put that together with HG and what do you get… https://t.co/rwK1XjJXc5
04:30 20th January