Volunteer Peer Supporter
Our Support Network is growing rapidly and we are always looking to recruit new Volunteer Peer Supporters.
To volunteer for Pregnancy Sickness Support we require that you fill in an application form and our Support Coordinator will contact you for a telephone interview. We will then collect 2 references and you will complete our online training program.
Please note that although we encourage all applications, only women who have actually suffered nausea and vomiting in pregnancy will be able to support other women via the support network.
If you have not suffered with NVP or HG there are lots of other ways to get involved and help us. For more info click here.
Volunteer Peer Supporters work with sufferers on a 1-2-1 basis via text, email, phone or sometimes face to face throughout their pregnancy while symptoms persist. They may also be involved in assisting with the distribution of leaflets in hospitals and health centres as well as delivering talks and presentations on NVP & HG..
The Volunteer Peer Supporter will require knowledge of the condition.
Full Training and insurance will be provided.
Duties may include the following:
- To provide support and information to sufferers and ex-sufferers of NVP and Hyperemesis Gravidarum, and their families, using text, email, phone or sometimes face to face.
- To deliver talks and presentations on the work of PSS using the standard materials provided. Wherever possible to set out a standard display of leaflets and other information about PSS.
- To assist in the distribution of leaflets and materials in local hospitals and health centres.
- To gather details of people who express an interest in PSS in line with current data protection legislation and the requirements of PSS Trust.
- To maintain a sufficient stock of up to date leaflets.
- To liaise with the Support Coordinator on a regular basis and attend training, meetings and conferences where possible.
- This list is only indicative, and there may be other tasks that may be requested if appropriate.
For this role we are looking for someone with the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to work in a professional and safe manner, maintaining confidentiality and integrity at all times.
- Sound listening skills.
- Experience of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy or hyperemesis gravidarum
- Ability to work without close supervision.
Suffering from Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy or HG can be a lonely and emotional experience.
"The support I received over the past 6 weeks from PSS helped get me through what has been the toughest time of my life. Having someone who really understood the condition helped us through and crucially, at times gave me really useful information I didn't get from my own medical practitioners. In my experience, HG is such a debilitating and lonely struggle, the more support you get the better chance you have of surviving it"
Lisa, from London.
“My husband was amazing, and contacting Pregnancy Sickness Support was the best thing I could have done. It was hard to look at a screen for very long, so emailing, texting and even talking on the phone was hard but just knowing there was someone there who cared, understood and would text/email weekly (even when I didn’t respond) made me realise I wasn’t alone.”
Mandy HG Survivor