Pregnancy Sickness Support is a tiny charity run almost entirely by volunteers who give their time and effort to keep it going. As yet we do not receive any funding from larger sources such as the National Lottery (although we are working hard on this) and so rely completely on the donations of individuals who support our cause.
At the moment donations are providing just enough to keep the charity running on a year to year basis by covering running costs such as:
- Telephone helpline
- Printing costs
- Hosting an annual conference
- Attending key healthcare professional conferences with a stall
However, by far our biggest cost is the running of our highly successful Support Network which provides crucial one to one support to hundreds of women battling hyperemesis gravidarum. The network provides a lifeline to women at their most vulnerable point and helps them survive their much wanted pregnancies.
"I couldn't have got through the pregnancy if it wasn't for the help and support from my volunteer and the information available via PSS. Having daily contact from someone who truly understood how you were feeling was invaluable, at the lowest points of the pregnancy I knew I could I contact my volunteer and be honest with her about my feelings and wouldn't be judged or have any kind if negative feedback. She was constantly supportive, even when others weren't and not just to me but to my husband also." - Feedback from a sufferer
Although funds have increased significantly in the three years we are still a long way off the level of income we require to achieve all the things we would like. Without secure funding or significant donations the future of this incredible support network is in jeopardy.
We would really like to increase our fund-raising enough, not just to cover the costs of the support network but to be able to provide for bigger projects such as;
- Producing training programme for midwives and doctors
- To fund further research into both the cause and cure for Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy and Hyperemesis Gravidarum as well as research into the beneficial effects of support and education (which in turn will help us apply for greater funding opportunities).
- To attend more events to raise the profile of the condition and the work of the Charity
- To be able to pay our dedicated volunteers a few basic expenses so as not to see them out of pocket for their hard work.
Ways to Donate
For sponsored events use Virgin Money Giving, BT MyDonate or use a sponsorship collection form.
Make a regular monthly donation via Virgin Money Giving.
For more ideas for fundraising on our behalf click here.